Monday, March 12, 2007

Actor and ex-senator is thinking of running for President

I watched an interview on Fox News Sunday with Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson yesterday and I hope he throws his hat into the GOP ring. I would definitely vote for him. You might know him from his character the DA on Law and Order, or maybe from Red October or other movies. He was however a Senator before an actor, so I want to introduce his politics to you.

From the AP:

On the issues, Thompson said he:

  • Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."
  • Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."
  • Opposes gun control, and praised last week's 2-1 federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban. "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."
  • Supports President Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify things. I think we're doing that now," he said. "Why would we not take any chance, even though there's certainly no guarantees, to not be run out of that place? I mean, we've got to take that opportunity and give it a chance to work."
  • Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense.

Thompson said he was not setting a deadline to make a decision and believes he won't be at a disadvantage if he waited until summer. "The lay of the land will be different in a few months than it is today, one way or the other."

He added, "One advantage you have in not ... having this as lifelong ambition is that if it turns out that your calculation is wrong, it's not the end of the world."

I completely agree with everything he said in his interview. I really want a candidate who stands for what I believe and hope springs eternal...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and we will review your comment and post it within 24 hours